October 1, 2012

Lisbon - I'm Coming Home

A few weeks ago my friend and I visited Lisbon, our last leg of our Spanish/Portuguese tour. Lisbon was our city of choice for Portugal. Not only is Lisbon the capital of Portugal, but it is also one of the oldest cities in all of Europe, predating London, Paris and Rome by hundreds of years! No wonder it is a city rich in history and culture. My mother also mentioned that our ancestral heritage is Portuguese! Another reason why this country is smack bang amazing. Apparently my people {haha my ancestors} were Portuguese sailors and merchants who sailed around the world on Spanish ships, finally settling in the Philippines. For me it was like my coming home; it also explains why I have this deep desire to explore. 

The locals were so welcoming and helpful, especially for one who wasn't familiar with the Portuguese tongue. Surprisingly many spoke better English than their Spanish neighbours. The custard tarts were to die for, most definitely worth lining up for them, especially when they are sold at the most reasonable of prices {a Euro}. Best eaten fresh from the oven with an espresso and a sachet of sugar, that's how the locals like it. World class since 1837. 

We also visited the neighbouring small towns; Sintra, Estoril, Cascais for a taste of romantic castles, historic ruins, cool water, hot sandy beaches, and beautiful sunsets at the most western point of Europe. Certainly a great way to end our 10 day tour. I'll be back again Portugal. 


Photographer: EllynSheyr
Location: Lisbon, Portugal

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...